Studying abroad in the United Kingdom is an excellent opportunity to get some of the best higher education in the world. However, this kind of quality usually does not come cheap, and many international students need some form of financial aid to fully or partially cover their study and living costs in the UK.
When it comes to applying for good, generous UK scholarships, the competition is really high, and some of the best providers take into consideration many requirements — your previous academic history often being one of them.
So if you can prove you’re a top student with impressive study achievements, you shouldn’t think twice and apply for an international scholarship in the UK.
Before exploring the list of scholarships, here are some of the universities in the UK we highly recommend:
- The University of Edinburgh: 19,000 – 42,000 GBP/year
- University of Leeds: 9,250 – 21,000 GBP/year
- College of Science and Engineering: around 14,050 – 15,000 GBP/year
- Cass Business School: 40,000 – 45,000 GBP/year
- Kent Business School: 16,800 – 46,000 GBP/year
The tuition ranges presented above are based on programmes listed on our portals. You might be able to find both cheaper and more expensive degrees at these universities. Which is why funding opportunities and scholarships are so important.
Here are some of the best-known scholarship opportunities awarded every year for international students who want to study in the United Kingdom:
1. The Chevening Scholarships
These scholarships are offered by the UK government to individuals with impressive academic results who demonstrate high leadership potential.
Recipients of the scholarships are personally selected by British Embassies around the world. Future decision-makers have a chance to develop academically, to create professional networks, experience the UK culture, and much more.
The scholarship programme offers financial support to study a one-year Master’s degree at any of the UK’s leading universities, with over 1,500 Chevening Scholarships offered globally during every academic cycle.
2. Euraxess UK
Managed by the British Council, Euraxess UK is an online portal that helps researchers to develop their careers and take advantage of mobility opportunities. Euraxess UK supports both international researchers who want to move to the UK and national researchers who want to leave the UK and go abroad.
The Euraxess UK programme support researchers at all levels:
- first stage researcher (postgraduate level)
- early career researcher (postdoctoral level)
- experienced researcher (over 6 years post-doctorate)
In addition to the Euraxess UK scholarships and funding, researchers can also use the online portal to find jobs and other useful information regarding living and working in the UK.
3. The Commonwealth Scholarships
The Commonwealth Scholarship Commission in the UK (CSC) awards a wide range of scholarships and fellowships, including:
- Commonwealth PhD Scholarships
- Commonwealth Master’s Scholarships
- Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarships
You can explore the complete list on the official Commonwealth Scholarships website.
The scholarships are offered each year to students coming from low and middle-income Commonwealth countries, who couldn’t afford to study in the UK without this financial support. Candidates are selected based on their previous academic results and their potential to aid in developing a better life for people in their home countries.
4. The Royal Society Grants
The Royal Society is a Fellowship of many of the world’s most eminent scientists. It is also the oldest scientific academy in the world that remains active even today. The Royal Society has 3 main goals:
- to promote excellence in science
- to support collaboration at an international level
- to prove the importance of science to everyone
The Fellowship offers various types of grants and awards, which you can check out on the official Royal Society website.
5. Scholarships from UK universities
Top universities in the United Kingdom often provide generous funding for international students based on their academic achievements or financial needs. Here are just a few scholarships and scholarship-finding tools offered by some of the best universities in the UK:
- University of Cambridge
- University of Oxford
- Imperial College London
- King’s College London
- London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE)
- University College London (UCL)
- GEMS International Undergraduate Scholarship
- University of Bristol Think Big Scholarship
- University of East Anglia Scholarship
- Goldsmiths International Response Scholarship
You can look for scholarships or financial aid programmes at any university using their official websites. The information is often under the section “Fees and funding”, “Funding” or “Scholarships”. If you’re not able to find anything, get in touch with a university representative who should be able to answer all your questions.
Learn more about the UK’s response to COVID-19 and its impact on university and visa applications.