Application Closes: December 15, 2023
Great offer! The University of British Columbia is delighted to offer all exceptional candidates the 2023 Karen McKellin International Leader of Tomorrow Scholarship Award in Canada.
The Karen McKellin International Leader of Tomorrow Award honors international undergraduate students who exhibit outstanding academic performance, leadership abilities, engagement in student activities, and community service, as well as acknowledged excellence in other crucial areas.
This Karen McKellin International Leader of Tomorrow Award’s worth is significantly linked to your level of financial need. Calculating how much money you and your family may contribute each year is done by adding together your tuition, fees, and living expenses. A typical needs analysis is built on the financial data that you and your family have submitted.
Your scholarship may be extended for up to three more years of undergraduate study or until you complete your degree, whichever comes first, providing you maintain your Canadian study permit, demonstrate continued financial need, and maintain good academic standing in your faculty (student visa).
Selection Criteria and Entry Requirements:
To be considered for the Karen McKellin International Leader of Tomorrow Study Award:
- You must be an international student who will be studying in Canada on a Canadian study permit.
- You must be entering UBC from a recognized secondary school, or transferring from your first year at a post-secondary college or other university.
- You must have graduated from high school no earlier than the month of June two years prior to the academic year you are applying to. For example, applicants for 2022 must have graduated from high school no earlier than June 2020.
- You must be applying for your first undergraduate degree.
- You must demonstrate superior academic achievement (achieve all As or equivalent standard).
- You must demonstrate a level of financial need that would otherwise prevent you from pursuing a UBC degree.
- You must meet UBC’s admission requirements, including general and degree-specific requirements and the English Language Admission Standard.
Method of Application
Applications for the 2022 school year are now closed. 2023 Applications will open soon.
To apply for the International Scholars program, you must be nominated by your school or non-profit, and submit a reference from an academic referee. Confirm that your school or non-profit is able to nominate you, and inform your nominator and academic referee that you’d like to apply for the International Scholars Program.
Submit your award application and complete the online application for admission to UBC by 15 November. You must meet the UBC English Language Admission Requirement by 31 December.
You must demonstrate a level of financial need that would otherwise prevent you from pursuing a UBC degree. (UBC automatically considers all international students for the merit-based International Major Entrance Scholarships and Outstanding International Student Awards scholarships, totalling a maximum value of $25,000 per year. If this amount does not cover your needs for tuition and basic living expenses, you are eligible to apply for the International Scholars Program.)